Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kim Kardash Hair

Kim Kardashian
As I was walking home yesterday I did something I rarely do in Paris: I struck up a conversation with a complete stranger.

I'd seen said stranger many times before in my neighborhood and noticed her beautiful hair swinging behind her. She was always impeccably dressed in heels galore and nice bags. I'd always told myself one day I'm going to ask her who does her hair. And then after one day I'll have to interview her for my new blog when I launch it.

Of course said day has arrived.

So there I was walking down the street talking to my best friend on the cell when I saw her again. I shared the news with my friend who ordered me to TALK TO HER. "It's for the blog. Women need to know."

"OK OK", I said before catching up to the girl and saying

"Excusez-moi" (excuse me.)

I was immediately surprised because she was a lot... different than I had imagined. From behind she was a long haired diva killing it with black fitted slacks and a Burberry raincoat, with a bright yellow Bridget Bardot (Lancel) bag. Face to face she was a gum smacking teenager with Chris Brown belting out of her earplugs.I gave her my business card and told her I wanted to interview her for Black Hair in Paris. Before I could get the rest of my sentences out she interrupted me.

"Who have you met? Have you met Naomi Campbell?"

"No. Would you be interested..."

"Have you met Tyra Banks?"

"Um, no...."

"Beyonce?"

"Hey I'm not a Hollywood reporter, sorry."

"Who have you met then?"

"OK. Christine Kelly?" I offered, just to close the subject.

"Who's that?"

"You don't know who Christine Kelly is?"

"Pas du tout", (not at all) she said, losing interest.

Maybe she had misunderstood my accent. I tried again. "Christine Kelly? She is an award winning journalist, one of the first black women on French TV, with origins from Guadeloupe? She's written books on people like William Gallas the soccer star and Francois Fillon, the Premier Minister of France? Sarkozy’s right-hand mand?"
Dazed and confused...she was.

I finally got my point across regarding the blog only to find that my new friend didn't want to be interviewed or photographed just yet because she went to a Jean Louis David salon and gotten a Brazilian Blowout last week. Said blowout had managed to break off huge pieces of her very long hair.

"Why did you go to Jean Louis David" I asked. I mean, she was black. For me it didn't compute. JLD does not do black hair! I've been in their salons and they looked at me like I was an alien before not so politely telling me that they don't do "frizzy" hair! ( Now here I must point out that French hair schools do not teach students how to do black hair, but that's an article to come).

"Well, I thought it would be good. You know I’m from Martinique. It was 140 euros. And look what they did to me."

At that moment she started running her fingers all through her hair showing me the damaged bits. I must admit that before then, I thought she was wearing a weave at least in the back! I know, shame on me. Black girls can have really long hair, I know, I know, I know.

As if she'd read my mind she said "I'm from Martinique." 

I guess that explains everything? Or does it?
"OK that's nice." I said, as I looked around to see if anyone was watching two black women standing in the middle of the street talking about and looking at hair.

"But you know what?" she continued, "I'm going to change it. Do you know about the New York blowout?"

"No, ever heard of that."

"The Toyko blowout?"

Did she just say Tokyo? As in Japan? Why would that be any good for us? But “No, non plus" (no, neither") is all I said.

"Well I'm going to get a weave because I want Kim Kardash hair."

"Pardon?" (Excuse me?)

"Kim Kardash, you know, American celebrity?"

"Um, yeah, I'm American too. I think most people know her though"

"Are you American oh mon dieu! C’est cool. Yes I want hair down to my butt."

"But you have really long hair already."
“Anyway I want Kim Kardash hair."

I smiled and gave her my American friend/hair stylist's business card (silently wondering if I’d be killed for sending a Jessica Simpson-like client there) and told her to get there to have any further salon treatments. I also warned her to stay away from Jean Louis David!!!! 

“And don’t try anything called Tokyo blowout”!

 I walked off thinking, Next time I'm going to mind my own business!

(But don’t worry, I won’t.)

2 comments:

  1. I have natural hair and live in Italy. I frequent Paris and London and am looking for stylists in both cities bc I don't trust anyone here. I never see black women with pretty hair here-- natural or otherwise. Could you please pass along your friend's contact info? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for including me in this amazing round-up. Love hearing about everyone's favorites.
    hair care

    ReplyDelete